Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Day 335 (Astronomy...)





Things I Learned In 2009 #6: There is still beauty left in this world.

Tonight, I saw a Halo around the moon. I was amazed. While I studied the phenomenon of Halos around the moon in Astronomy in college, I had never seen one myself. It was the most amazing thing I've seen this year. What is a Halo, you ask?

A halo (also known as a nimbus, icebow or Gloriole) is an optical phenomenon produced by ice crystals creating colored or white arcs and spots in the sky. Many are near the sun or moon but others are elsewhere and even in the opposite part of the sky. They can also form around artificial lights in very cold weather when ice crystals called diamond dust are floating in the nearby air.


What I saw tonight was a circular halo. It made me think and realize that there are still very beautiful things that I have not experienced yet in this world, and that I need to take time out to experience them. I called a friend of mine and woke her out of bed to see it. At first, she thought something was wrong but once I got her to step outside (and after calmly telling her that the moon is not falling), she also thought that it was beautiful.

I think the halo is a wake up call for me. I've been doing things off base for the past month; acting really out of character for myself. Emotionally, I've been stable, but mentally, I've been in and out of things, and this halo made me realize that I need to put things back in all the right spots so that I can go into this next decade with a renewed sense of self.

To everyone I've ever hurt and to everyone that hurt me: I'm sorry and I forgive you.

To everyone that I support and to everyone that supports me: Thank you and you're welcome.

To everyone I've ever loved and to everyone that has ever loved me: *salutes* You are truly respected.

To everyone that loves me now and to everyone I love now: You are truly appreciated.


Things I Learned In 2009 #6: There is still beauty left in this world.


P.S. You're the shining example of beauty still left in this world, Ladybug. *bacio di bacio*

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a beautiful photo. Your observations about the halo around the moon and perspective on life inspired me. Thanks for sharing this. -TMS

ButtaFli said...

Funny, cuz I sat on my front porch and stared at it for a long time last nite...thinking (and getting chewed up by mosquitoes).

I had seen the phenomenon a few times before but last nite, t meant something.

Took a couple pics for memories...no one else had commented on it so I had kept it to myself...thanks for sharing.

JStar said...

Very inspiring!! There is beauty left in this world, esp by people still seeing the good...

Naturally Alise said...

I am reminded that there is still beauty in the world when I meet someone like you online, that being, people who are caring, always willing to listen, honest, and creative. :)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin